Jeh Johnson, the General Counsel for the U.S. Department of Defense, will deliver the keynote address at LGBT Rights: Toward a More Perfect Union, a symposium sponsored by Albany Government Law Review on Thursday, October 13, 2011. Mr. Johnson will address the implementation of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” repeal in the armed services at the daylong event at Albany Law School. Mr. Johnson, the co-chair of the 2010 working group that studied the impact of repealing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” oversees all legal matters for the largest government agency in the world.
The first panel, focusing on the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), features litigators at the forefront of today’s legal news. Panelists Maura Healey, Chief of the Civil Rights Division of the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office, and Roberta Kaplan, Partner at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP, will argue the constitutionality of DOMA in pending court cases against the U.S. House of Representatives in the First Circuit and in the Southern District of New York, respectively. Brian Raum, Director of Marriage Litigation Center for the Alliance Defense Fund, will also participate on the panel.
The second panel, on family and workplace rights, features “LGBT Liaison” Matt Nosanchuk, Senior Counselor in the U.S. Department of Justice; Michele Kahn, Partner at Kahn & Goldberg; William Singer, Partner at Singer & Fedun; and Carol Buell, Partner at Weiss, Buell & Bell.
Finally, Asssemblymember Daniel J. O’Donnell and Senator James S. Alesi will be joined by Katherine Grainger, Assistant Counsel to Governor Andrew Cuomo, for an oral history of the same-sex marriage law in New York State. For more information about “LGBT Rights: Toward a More Perfect Union,” please visit: www.albanylaw.edu/lgbt
The schedule of events for LGBT Rights: Toward a More Perfect Union on October 13, includes:
Implementing the Repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”—1:30 p.m.
· Keynote speaker: Jeh Johnson, General Counsel, U.S. Department of Defense
Discussion on the Defense of Marriage Act—2:45 p.m.
· Roberta Kaplan, Partner, Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
· Brian Raum, Director of Marriage Litigation Center, Alliance Defense Fund
· Maura Healey, Chief, Civil Rights Division, Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General
Family & Workplace Rights—4 p.m.
Moderated by Melissa Breger, Professor of Law, Albany Law School
· Carol Buell, Partner, Weiss, Buell & Bell
· Michele Kahn, Partner, Kahn & Goldberg, LLP
· Matt Nosanchuk, Senior Counselor to the Assistant Attorney General,
U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division
· William Singer, Partner, Singer & Fedun LLC
An Oral History of New York’s Legalization of Same-sex Marriage- 5:30p.m.
Moderated by Stephen Clark, Professor of Law, Albany Law School
· Hon. Jim Alesi, New York State Senator
· Hon. Daniel O’Donnell, New York State Assemblymember
· Katherine Grainger, Assistant Counsel, Office of Counsel to the Governor