To promote National Domestic Violence Awareness Month on our campus, The Domestic Violence Clinic, the Women’s Law Caucus and the Albany Law Task Force to Reduce Domestic & Dating Violence, Sexual Assault and Stalking have joined together to organize the following:
1. TURN THE STATE PURPLE: The color purple has come to symbolize the fight against domestic violence. Albany Law School is participating with The NYS Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence “Shine the Light on Domestic Violence” turning of major sites across the state purple for the month of October by illuminating our campus with purple lights all month long.
2. PURPLE RIBBON CAMPAIGN: In order to participate in this state-wide campaign, purple ribbons are being distributed to the entire student body, faculty and staff. Please pin them on a bag, backpack, or clothes for the month of October. Ribbons – and the story behind them – will appear in everyone’s mailbox beginning tomorrow and into the next few days. Thousands across the state are participating for the month of October in order to raise awareness – please participate!!
3. ALBANY LAW SCHOOL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE EVENING VIGIL – October 14, 2009 at 7:00: October 14 has been identified as the date the NYS Workforce will aim to go purple. Albany Law School will hold an evening vigil on October 14 in remembrance of victims of domestic violence. The vigil will begin at 7:00 pm with a message from Karla DiGirolamo from Unity House, followed by a song, the lighting of candles and illumination of the school by the purple lights. A reception with light refreshments in the East Foyer will follow. Students and faculty will also be asked to join in the national campaign to wear purple on this day.
4. Posters with specific facts about Domestic Violence will be going up throughout the month!
5. We will be collecting old cell phones for domestic violence victims throughout the month of October. DONATE A PHONE CALL TO PROTECT – This campaign collects wireless phones to benefits victims of domestic violence. These phones are a lifeline for victims of domestic violence, enabling them to call for assistance when faced with an emergency situation. To read more, go to: www.wirelessfoundation.org/CalltoProtect/index.cfm
6. A Call to Men – On Wednesday, October 21st at 12:00 noon, in the West Wing Classroom at Albany Law School will host a presentation and LUNCH for “A Call to Men”, a nationally recognized organization working to end violence against women. Unique in it’s messaging, A Call to Men works to engage men to become involved in ending violence against women by examining socialization and cultural attitudes that objectify women and lead to violence against women. To learn more go to: www.acalltomen.org
7. Tabling on Wednesdays – the Albany Law School Task Force to Reduce Domestic & Dating Violence, Sexual Assault and Stalking will staff a table outside the library every Wednesday from 12:00 – 2:00. Information and Resources are available for free and during the month of October, Domestic Violence Awareness Pins will be available for a donation of $2.00 to benefit Equinox Domestic Violence Services.
8. Collecting Personal Care Items for Domestic Violence Shelter Residents – Residents of Equinox’s Domestic Violence Shelter are in need of personal care items (shampoo, soap, baby supplies, etc.) and we will be collecting donated items throughout October. You can drop off the items at Tabling on Wednesdays (see above).
On Wednesday, October 14th, 7PM-8PM, join us at the Remember Me Candlelight Vigil at Albany Law School (New Scotland Avenue entrance).
For the entire schedule of events for National Domestic Violence Awareness Month HERE.